Wednesday, February 18, 2009

stupid banana

it was midnight. or 2 am, i'm not quite sure. i was three quarters of the way asleep when *bam!* the perfect idea for my story hit me. i rolled it back and forth in my head like i was kneading dough. i thought, "do i get up and write this idea down?" i laid there awhile longer. i knew i was going to forget but did i get up and write the darn idea down? no. no i did not. and do i remember it now? no. no i do not.

i have been sifting through folders of memories in my head, hoping to be reunited with this flash of brilliance that only ever comes in the middle of a good sleep. what bothers me even more is that no matter how deep i sift the only thing i keep hearing in my head is "they call me, nanerpuss, nanerpuss" from that damn dennys commercial with the banana cut as an octopus sitting on top of a stack of pancakes. this is incredibly frustrating.

this isn't the first time this has happened either. i tend to get good ideas right as i'm falling asleep and i always do the same thing. "oh i'll remember, definitely. this is too good to forget! no need to get up and write it down..." i've learned from this mistake this time tho and i've set myself up with a small notebook - pen attached! it will accompany me and await my brilliant ideas! it already has a few little scribbles on the first page! and now i play the waiting game...

1 comment:

  1. i've experienced the very same thing. you can get it back, or even a better version of it. just simply intend to. i don't know how it works, but it does. you can say to yourself before you go to bed: 'wake me up if it's anything good!' and you will wake up!

    i got rid of using an alarm clock the same way. 'i would like to wake up at 7am.' for realz.

    ReplyDelete