Friday, July 17, 2009

mcbarfy

We've all seen the commercials 8 million times. McDonald's new campaign to shove their McCafe' coffees down our throats (literally) has been going on for awhile now. Their goal? Steal business away from the ever-popular Starbucks.

Being that my very best friend works at a Starbucks - I have been financially supporting her (that's my excuse, at least) by only buying my coffee from the delicious, delicious coffee chain. A few friends and I used to have Starbucks Fridays. We rotated weeks and each Friday we would switch who bought our delicious, delicious lattes. Have I mentioned they're delicious? It was a bright spot at the end of our work week.

This morning, running late like usual, I didn't have time to wait in line at Starbucks so I opted for the drive-thru at McDonald's - I figured I'd get a sausage biscuit (my favorite) and maybe try one of them there new McCafe' Mocha's. I considered it research. Was it possible for a McDonald's coffee to even compare to my beloved Starbucks?

Complaint #1: I ordered a small Mocha and the darn thing was too wide at the top to fit in a normal-sized cup holder. WHY is the cup so wide at the top? Starbucks 1, McDonald's 0.

Complaint #2: BARF. It wasn't even remotely good. It tasted like cheap creamer mixed with some chocolate syrup with a little bit of regular coffee thrown in the mix. It wasn't hot enough (which, okay I can't really blame McDonald's for. I let it sit for awhile to cool like I usually do with my Sbux latte... b/c IT is actually hot) but even if it had been hot, it wouldn't have detracted from the graininess of the coffee flavor. Starbucks 2, McDonald's 0.

Complaint #3: I thought, "Maybe it's an acquired taste." So, I forced myself to sip on it for awhile. Sure enough, maybe 10 sips later I thought "Okay, so it's not so bad." But really, yes it was. By this point, it wasn't even lukewarm anymore. Which brings me to the conclusion that the cup doesn't hold the heat in very well. Starbucks 3, McDonald's 0.

Pro #1: It's cheaper than Starbucks. A small mocha only put me out about $2.60 while a tall latte from Sbux would've been about a dollar more. But... here I sit with a small mocha from McDonald's that is still half full b/c I can't bring myself to drink the rest. I would've rather spent a dollar more and had a warm, happy tummy. So, Starbucks 4, McDonald's 0.

So, there you have it.

McDonald's should stick to what it does best - sausage biscuits. Because that, my friend, was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. As I like to say when things are a little to cheap (ie: a premium drink from macdo): You don't get what you don't pay for.

    Starbucks, FTW. Thanks for keeping me employed. :)

    ReplyDelete