Thursday, July 2, 2009

on why i'll always buy apple

My first experience with Apple products came when I was a senior in high school. My theater teacher had a powerbook he swore by. When it came time for me to buy my first computer to take to college, Mr. Kimball convinced me a Mac was the way to go.

I saved some money to which my Dad contributed to, and I excitedly ordered my 14 inch iBook G4. When it finally arrived in the mail, I was beside myself. This beautiful piece of stark white technology was mine all mine. Every little feature amazed me. "It talks to me?!"

I carted this computer around through my freshman, sophomore and junior years of college. It went with me everywhere. To class, home to my parents, on any trips I took. I loved it. It wasn't until my senior year of college I began to have problems. Occasionally, the screen would go all wiggley and I'd have to do a manual restart.

I decided to take it into the Apple store where they informed me my logic board was bad. She did a little searching and found that the logic boards in some other computers had been recalled, but I was past the recall date by over 2 and a half years.

When I bought the computer, I also purchased the extended warranty. Unfortunately, my warranty was already a year and a half out of date. I drooled over some of the new macbooks in the store while the nice lady told me she was going to try sending my computer in to be fixed. Since the warranty was so over it's mark, she wasn't sure if they'd cover it or not. They were supposed to call me and let me know how much it was going to be. I mentioned to her that if it wasn't going to be fixed for free, I would probably just purchase a new macbook.

It was only 2 days later the Apple store called me. My computer was back in and ready for pick up. They had replaced the logic board, and b/c my case was cracked in the corner, gave me a new bottom shell - all for FREE. Who does that? I had even told them if it wasn't going to be covered I was going to purchase a brand spanking new computer. And still, they fixed everything for free.

I skipped home with my computer who lasted me another 2 years. She still runs today but the call of the new macbooks finally came knocking on my door and I purchased a new 12 inch macbook last October.

Just recently I purchased an ipod touch. I was itching for an iphone but I settled, still having a contract with USCellular for another 2 years. After having my ipod touch for about 2 months, the itch finally was too bad to stand and I sold the ipod touch to a friend at work, paid the contract cancellation fee to USCellular, and finally bought my iphone. I immediately began my search for the perfect iphone case. I had my ipod touch case still, as my FAW didn't want to purchase that along with the touch. I put the ipod case back in it's original packaging and went into the Apple store again, explained to them my situation. I had an ipod case, but now needed an iphone case. "No problem," he said. Because I still had the case in it's original packaging, they let me exchange my ipod case for an iphone case, no charge to me. I was in and out in a matter of minutes.

This is why I will always buy Apple products. I know there is much talk about how Apple takes advantage of people - putting out a first generation product at a high cost only to make a better product later and cut the price in half. Well, of course they're going to put out a better product later. That's just how technology works. There will always be something better, something new, something cheaper. "People just buy it because it's pretty," is another thing I hear a lot. And to that I say, "Duh." If you make your product appealing, people will be more interested. Apples sleek look is not the reason that keeps me coming back. It is their great customer care, their products that have outlasted any PC I have ever owned, their ability to make great and interesting products, that keeps me coming back.

I will always buy Apple products as long as their support remains high. I love my macbook, my iphone, my ibook G4. And I always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment