Sunday, May 3, 2009

i'm an impostor

This weekend B's parents were up to help us with the yard. We ripped up most of the backyard and spots in the front that needed to be re-planted. Our yard was a hot mess when we bought it. In place of grass were mostly violets and we had hoards of ant hills.

I don't think I've ever worked outside that much in my life. We were outside from morning until dark ripping out grass and flowers, and planting fresh greenery. Now I don't mind planting a few flowers. It's fun for awhile. And I'm sure I'll feel good about all the work we did when I see my flowers start to really blossom...but, I realized something this weekend. I am definitely an indoor kitty. Or, a kitty that likes to relax, rather. I can't wait until the deck is put back on so I can chill out in the backyard with a summery drink and a good book. I'm looking forward to seeing all the flowers but I will always be reminded of how much work it was to put them in. I guess a little hard work never hurt anyone but I just don't get how B finds all the laboring work relaxing. I was actually looking forward to coming back to work this week for a break.

I got down and dirty in the mud. Used my bare hands to spread soil and mulch. Planted flowers. It felt good to work but I have to admit I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to planting flowers. Lucky for me my mother in law is a flower crazy-person so she was able to help me pick out flowers that would be good for certain areas of the yard.

It was fun to learn and plant but I don't think gardening will become a huge hobby for me... The flowers I planted will be lucky if I get out there to weed and water them.

These are Geraniums I put in a little green pot out on our front step.
A little Jacob's Ladder accents our split rail fence down on the corner.
This is the said split rail fence along with the flowers. Jacobs Ladder, Forget-Me-Nots, Creeping Plox, and some grasses in the back.
Forget-Me-Not!
The boys had fun digging up the yard. Here is B riding behind his Dad's tractor.

3 comments:

  1. sure is purty, mrs. palmer. i'm jealous that you have a yard in which to plant flowery things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how you called yourself an indoor kitty.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to get a sprinkler. That way you can water your purty flowers while reading a book with drink in hand on the deck! Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete