Monday, May 11, 2009

live long and prosper

Distance is a crappy thing.

I had a brief pang of sadness as I pulled out of the driveway on Dunstone Drive this past weekend. 5 days of vacation time spent with the parents is usually enough to have me wishing for Madison but this time I found it harder to leave.

Saturday was spent bouncing around town with my sister and then meeting up with some of her grade school friends at St. Norbert's school picnic. It was crazy listening to them talk about the kids they went to school with. "So and so has 5 kids." "I just ran into whats her face last weekend!" Listening to the back and forth of the who's who and who's where made me a little jealous of how far away I am from my best friends. If you had asked my 17 year-old self I would've scoffed at the idea of staying in the same town, having kids and socializing with the same people I went school with. Yet, there I sat feeling jealous of the experiences these people spoke of. What I wouldn't give to live in the same town as my best friends. Be a part of each others day to day lives.

I have to be careful not to discount the experiences I've had because of our choices to move around the country; the friends I've made because I was out of my comfort zone and knew no one else. I am thankful for where I am and the friends I have now. I am also thankful for how close my friends and I are despite our physical distances, and the appreciation we have for each other because of it, too.

On a slightly more nerd-tastic note, I must share my new crush. I saw Star Trek this weekend and was given heart-palpitations by one, Spock. I definitely recommend it. In fact, I'm gonna make B take me to see it again this weekend! MmmZacharyQuinto.


No comments:

Post a Comment